Sunday, January 08, 2006

Lights On Tampa: UT No. 1


Some random impressions from Lights On Tampa:

  • The original plan was to view Lights On early, then catch the end of the Bucs game. It didn’t work out that way, and I am glad for that. Better to witness “Lights On” than “Lights Out.” Thousands of others concurred.
  • I’ve seen young men wearing Gentlemen’s attire while carrying a walking stick, in movies and on TV. Like in a portrayal of Dickensian London. Or Barnabas Collins. But I never thought I’d see the full ensemble in real life. Until last night. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you have to admit, it is soooooooo South Tampa.
  • There were so many cameras, and video cameras that trying to walk about freely felt like walking on eggs -- there were so many photographic vantage points that it was impossible not to be in someone’s shot. Eventually, and I could see it in other people too, there was a sense of: “I’m walking where I need to go, so screw it!”
  • You’re beginning to see what’s possible, downtown Tampa. Don’t muck it up.
  • Why is this only scheduled biennially?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Barnabas Collins link.
You're right. When your trying to get your shot who cares about the old dude with the camcorder.

darylt said...

It just started to feel like a buzz-kill. I was being conscious of where I was moving and still found myself in the way of other peoples’ shots. Within half an hour, I just got tired of feeling bad for doing something I was trying not to do.

And here's to Old Money South Tampans and their walking canes. Without them, how could we link to Dark Shadows?